the honeymoon effect...

There are some things in life that I just really enjoy. I love a sunny day but for it to be about 70 outside. I love the smell of a just opened can of tennis balls. I love watching football and pretending I am really good, while playing on Xbox. There are just so many things that one person can enjoy.

This week, I started my new job as the youth minister at my church. This will be my fourth church, but I plan on having a sustainable youth ministry for a while at this church. Things have been great so far! I met with the students on Wednesday night, I have been developing media for the student ministry like crazy!

It got me thinking though, that in our lives we go through MANY phases of how we react to things. It is like watching a child on Christmas morning open up all their new presents to play with them for so long, and then they forget about them. They have this instant high about the new things, then as things gather age on them, things start to cool down. I compare this to youth ministry. When we start a new year, a new job, or a new plan, we get really excited about it. We do so much to promote it, we do so much to do our best, then as we grow complacent with what we have or our job, we start to slack off.

I read in an online article that said, "We can plan and plan and plan and youth ministers can have a 6 year plan. The first two years really start to go according to plan. Year three hits and suddenly your plan is not working anymore. You start to wonder what happened and then you try to adjust the plan to keep it on pace. However, nothing works. Suddenly, you are just going with what doesn't work because it takes too much time to try to adjust to the changes needed."

We look a our lives, our ministries, and our plans and we see complacency in some areas, excitement in others, and things that are going to be left on the back burner for a long time. I want to keep this level of excitement for the youth group. In youth ministry, or in any new area of life, we have the honeymoon effect and then it wears off. Just as I want to love my wife to the best of my ability and what she deserves, I want to maintain the same level in all areas of my life.

Some of you are thinking that this is impossible. We are going to go through ups and downs, we are going to hit a low point and we will hit really high points. Life is much like a roller coaster; there are twists and turns, ups and downs, but in the end we all end up on the even keel. I never want to be complacent with my life, marriage, or ministry.

God has blessed me with a lot of things in my life. It is only my duty to honor Him in all I do in all areas of my life.
“Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling (1 Peter 4:8-9).” - Bible

“Be patient and you will finally win, for a soft tongue can break hard bones. (Proverbs 28:13)” - Bible

“Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. (Psalms 30:5)” - Bible

“And now abideth faith, hope and charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity (I Corinthians 13:13).” - Bible

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you (Matthew 7:12).” - Bible

“The mouth of a righteous man is a well of life: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked (Proverbs 10:11).” - Bible

“Work hard and become a leader; be lazy and never succeed. (Proverbs 12:24)”

0 comments:

There was an error in this gadget

Total Pageviews

There was an error in this gadget

Followers