distractions...

If there is anyone out there who watches ESPN, follows college football even a little bit, or reads the sports section of the newspaper, I am sure you have heard about all the alleged allegations about Cameron Newton. For those who live under a rock, Cam Newton is the quarterback for the Auburn University football team. I am an Auburn fan. I went to Auburn. Yet, Cameron Newton has been under a lot of fire in the media as of recent. There have been a lot of alleged allegations regarding his recruitment to Auburn, to play football. There have also been a lot of other alleged allegations about how these stories are coming into the media.

The problem with these stories are that a lot of them are pure speculation. How many times do we sit there and we speculate about something, only because we have a little bit of information about the situation? We make judgments so quickly, without full knowledge of what really happened. Cam Newton has been a champion in dealing with all of his allegations and having negative media and press against a 21 year old man.

Sitting in the office with my senior minister, we briefly talked about how Satan can intervene himself into something that is bigger than he is. When our focus is taken off of God, it is a small win in the eyes of Satan. However, when we are doing things for the Kingdom of God, Satan is going to turn up the heat to get our attention off of God's work.

Wednesday night, I used an example of a student named Zach Hunter. Zach is a youth who at 17 was challenged by his youth pastor to do something to change the world. Zach started thinking about things in the world that were still prevalent around the world. He chose to fight slavery in the world. Human trafficking is where humans are bought and sold on an under ground market. Zach chose to hit this head on. He started the ministry "Loose Change to Loosen Chains". He wanted to break the bond of slavery.

Zach's youth pastor told him to "Be the change!" Zach took this literally. I used the illustrations from the Bible, out of 2 Corinthians 4: 3-6 which state

2 Corinthians 4:3-6 (New Living Translation)

3 If the Good News we preach is hidden behind a veil, it is hidden only from people who are perishing. 4 Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

5 You see, we don’t go around preaching about ourselves. We preach that Jesus Christ is Lord, and we ourselves are your servants for Jesus’ sake. 6 For God, who said, “Let there be light in the darkness,” has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ."

I also used 2 Corinthians 5: 20 which states:

2 Corinthians 5:20 (New Living Translation)

20 So we are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, “Come back to God!”

Here are two points out of 2 Corinthians where Paul is saying that the gods of this world have veiled our eyes to not see the glory and image of God in Christ Jesus. Distractions take our eyes off of the main goal. When we have a large goal, it takes smaller goals to achieve the bigger goal.

I challenged my youth group and also myself to "Be the Change" in the world around me. When I am doing God's work, Satan is going to send his distractions in my life. Nothing has been more obvious. Seeking the wisdom of those who I work with and by leaning on Christ in the time of despair, I see that God is clearly going to prevail.

At the end of the Bible study on Wednesday night, I did a little exercise with the students. I turned out all of the lights and I told all the students to bring out their cell phones. I told them to keep them off for a minute. I shined my pone into the darkness and asked everyone if they could see it. Then I asked everyone else to turn on their cell phones. The room lit up more and we could start to see details of the room in the darkness. Then I told them to turn their phones off again and I kept mine on. I asked the students if they could still see my phone in the darkness. They all said they could. We turned the lights back on.

I then read the verse John 1:5:

John 1:5 (New Living Translation)


5 The light shines in the darkness,
and the darkness can never extinguish it.

The light shines through the darkness and it can never be extinguished. The great part about this verse is that Love wins! I am going to be the change and I am going to let the light of Christ, which is inside of me, shine through the darkness of where Satan is trying to be right now. The darkness can never extinguish the light. In the end, Love wins!

And in the greatness that is there is a band called "The Darkness". This was a hairband that got lost in time and they had a huge hit called "I Believe in a Thing Called Love". I thought I would share this video with everyone. I do believe in a thing called love, and love wins in the end.

0 comments:

There was an error in this gadget

Total Pageviews

There was an error in this gadget

Followers