the ultimate youth pastor...

Being a youth pastor, I learned a lot of what I know from my mentor Eric. I learned the ins and outs of youth ministry from him and others. Most of all I learned from experience. My first job I was thrown into the lions den and just prayed to reach the top.

Some of my best times in youth ministry is when I had exactly no idea what I was doing. I don't recommend going straight into a youth worship with no planning or anything of the sort. I saw this video the other day and it really got me thinking about how often, me especially, we try to be the cool guy and try to fit in with the students in our group. Watch this video and see how we can break the ultimate stereo type of being a youth pastors...

The video can be found here.

When we try so hard to be like students that we don't minister to them, we try to just be like them. I understand wanting to fit in and trying to relate to them, but here is my take on this: If we are ministering to students and loving them regardless, preaching the word of God to them and walking along side them trying to help them find their God given path, I say you are fitting right in.

I am no expert in youth ministry, but students will come because they already like you for who you are, not who you think they want you to be. Even though this video is a parody of what some youth ministers are like, try to be more like yourself and be responsible. Follow what you feel God is leading and make sure your ministry aligns with the vision and mission statement of the church. The youth ministry is a branch of the church, not it's own church.

0 comments:

There was an error in this gadget

Total Pageviews

There was an error in this gadget

Followers