who is my Jesus....

So it is Monday again, and everyone knows that Monday's are generally slow. We sit on the edge of our seats while we watch the minutes pass by and just can't wait for that lunch break, or even to just get home and be with the families. Here is my schedule for the day:

1. Staff Meeting @ 3:30
2. Work on Ski Retreat Materials
3. Return phone calls and emails from last week
4. Finish Wednesday Night Bible Study
5. Get Praise Band music together for Thursday Practice

and a few other small and insignificant things. It is also quiet around our neck of the woods today because our Academy for students is out due to the fall break. We had a small youth group last night as well, but God definitely showed up as we had one of my best friend's, Jeffrey Samplaski, come in and speak to my students about making Jesus real in their lives. He spoke on how Jesus can make us feel from a nobody to a somebody, just because of His approach and because of His love. Jeffrey also spoke on the path that Jesus took. He took the unusual path, not the path that most would take. He said that we should all tread this path with three things: Worship, Prayer, and Scripture.

It was a very eye opening experience for me to listen to him speak. He is a very dynamic speaker and his love for God really shined last night. It was great to see him and Clint come up for a few hours. I was really dared last night and not challenged (you had to be there).

Yet, I woke up this morning really thinking about my youth group. I missed a lot of them last night, and I know a ton of them are out of town for one thing or another due to the fall break, but I really missed them. I was, however, excited about the ones that DID show up! It was so much fun! When I woke up, I turned on the TV to watch some of the Today Show and I also opened up the facebook application on my phone, since I don't have Internet at my apartment. I was looking at the status updates of a lot of people, and they all said something about Kanye West. I was intrigued by this because I had no clue what they were talking about.

I found out that Kanye West got on stage, during the acceptance speech of Taylor Swift for Best Female Video of the Year at the VMA's. He stole the Microphone from her and said that Beyonce' had the best video ever. Beyonce' of course was embarrassed, however, when she won for Video of the Year, she showed her true class and let Taylor come back and finish her acceptance speech.

Yet, when I looked at the video on youtube and I looked back on facebook and saw all the status updates, I wondered where every one's priorities are in life. I am even a walking example of this as I woke up and turned on the TV to watch the news.

It is crazy how two events that have nothing in common with each other can really share one common ground for a great message: who is YOUR Jesus? What are we doing in this world to advance the Kingdom of God? Just because I am a Youth Pastor, does that give me a get out of jail free card? NO!

Jeffrey spoke last night at youth and it really spoke to me. He shared some deep insight into his life and how one day he just felt like he was nothing. He found a different spin on the story of the woman at the well too. Jeffrey told us of how Jesus went out of His way to make this woman feel like someone when she felt like a nobody. I am not saying that I feel like a nobody, but there are times I just feel bad about myself because of the lack of work I am doing for the Kingdom and the more work I am doing for myself.

The things I do for me are trying to make a name for myself, trying to leave my mark in youth ministry somewhere, and trying to do the best I can at a career I love! Yet, where is God in the mix of all this? Has my work become my Jesus? At times, I feel as though just because I work at a church, I have this aura about me. This is far from the truth. I was really humbled by this.

It is funny when you think about it. I can say that God spoke to me in some funny ways this morning. He spoke to me through facebook and Kanye West. WOW! What an amazing God that loves me! He reaches out in the oddest ways, off the regular path, to reach me and make me feel like a somebody.

This is not a blog post to make you feel bad about yourself. In fact, it is the exact opposite. The title of my blog, sometimes it takes a shipwreck, is from a book by Mark Batterson called Wild Goose Chase. And for those who have read my blog from the beginning know I have mentioned this book many times before. "sometimes it takes a shipwreck" is a chapter in the book that speaks about the finding the chase of the Holy Spirit in your life, and sometimes it takes a shipwreck to get your attention. This morning The Today Show, facebook, and Kanye West were my shipwreck! I learned an old saying in my Sunday School class yesterday morning. Amy May said that we can not put of things for tomorrow because tomorrow does not exist. We will always put it off on tomorrow. It is my PLEA that no one puts off God until tomorrow. Let God show you His amazing love and how, even through a crazy turn of events that happen, He can speak to you and show you He loves you. My Jesus is not Kanye West, facebook, or even TV. MY Jesus is a man who created the whole world and even though I sin constantly against Him, He loves ME enough to die for ME to bring ME new life and to show ME that He cares and loves ME anyway.

Now, my dare to the readers of this blog are simple. In the last sentence of the paragraph above, take out the ME and insert YOU in the blanks.


0 comments:

There was an error in this gadget

Total Pageviews

There was an error in this gadget

Followers