Lesson Notes: 1/4/2009- Image is EVERYTHING



Here are a few of my lesson notes from my lesson tonight:



Image is EVERYTHING

Today, everyone and everything tells us that image is everything. We must have the newest gadgets, the coolest cell phone, the best rims on the car, best sound system etc. Image shows people we mean business. If we go somewhere and we are dressed sloppy and wear old smelly clothes, people will think we don't take care of ourselves. If we dress really nice, people might look and think highly of you.

Why do we always have to look the best and have the best things? Do we just want to show the world how much money we have? Or are we just finding our love in material things?

I love to get new clothes and wear them around. I like to look good...on occasion. I care about how I look. I want people to look at me and see a person who takes care of themselves, a person who can speak well, a funny person, and many other things. Our image matters because we want others to think only the best of us.

When I was in high school, all I cared about was what others thought about me! I would do anything to get people to like me, I would always try to keep up with the latest trends. But after a while, I got sick of it. I was tired. I was alone. I had A LOT of nice things, but I wasn't happy. I was finding my joy in earthly things.

Let's look at the story of Samson.
In Judges 16:6-22, we read about Samson, this strong Nazirite, whom everybody loves. When I say he is strong, think hurcules on steroids. He was a big dude! To show you how strong he is, listen to this:

Judges 14:6 (New International Version)

6 The Spirit of the LORD came upon him in power so that he tore the lion apart with his bare hands as he might have torn a young goat. But he told neither his father nor his mother what he had done.

That is some muscle. Can you imagine a lion coming at you, and you sit there, look at your nails, then rip it apart with your bear hands?! That is awesome! Now, lets look at Samson and his strength.

Delilah, a woman in the valley, was asking him how he has this strength.
See, Samson and Delilah fell in love, and the Philistines (enemies of Samson) wanted to know how to get rid of his strength. So each night, she asked him. For three nights this happened, but Samson lied.
I think he was just trying to show off to her. It says each time he told her how he could loose his strength, he would snap (string, rope, and fibers of his hair) them like a string. He just wanted to show off his muscles and say hey baby, look at me. I got all you need right here. I got this awesome hair, huge muscles, I am the best looking dude in the desert. I am all you need!

Delilah, like I said earlier, was planning to take his strength away though. The philistines offered her silver to figure it out. So on the fourth night, Samson finally revealed his weakness. "If you shave my head, because my hair has never been cut before, I will loose my strength and good looks. But don't worry baby, that will never happen." (So I edited it a little)

Once she got the truth out of Samson, she called the Philistine leaders in, while Samson was sleeping and shaved his head. YIKES! That stinks! Just think, you wake up one morning after never cutting your hair in your life and suddenly your bald. Your strength is gone, your good looks are gone, everything was taken from you in the middle of the night.

I am here to tell you now, that our image, though important, is not everything. I don't need a big chain, huge Escalade with 20's and throwing $100 bills around to show how important I am. All I need is the strength I find in God. I can shave my head, loose my hair, and I know I could loose some weight too, but I know that God is the only image I am worried about.

I do like nice things, I have some too; but only because God allowed me to have them. I have been blessed on occassion and it has been great, but there are times I do not have nice things, and life is tough. I know though, if I pray, and constantly seek God in my life and His direction for my life; His image is the only image people will see also.

0 comments:

There was an error in this gadget

Total Pageviews

There was an error in this gadget

Followers