Conditional Reflexes


Ivan Pavlov. If you don't know who he is, he won the Nobel Prize for his research on making dogs salivate without seeing food. A dog naturally salivates when it sees food. Every time he fed a dog, he rang a bell. Soon he would ring the bell, and cause the dog to salivate. Thus, winning him a Nobel Peace Prize...for some odd reason. Makes me wonder why I can't win one for something. But I digress.

He called this a conditional reflex. This is something you are taught and can be changed. Reading the book Wild Goose Chase says that we have been conditioned all our lives. Whether they are subconscious or conscious, our way of thinking and our personalities have been conditioned our whole lives.

It makes me wonder what in my life have I been conditioned about? Am I just acting a certain way because that's what I subconsciously know that is what I am supposed to do? Regardless, Christ came to this earth to break the conditional reflexes that I and everyone else have. He came to show us true grace and forgiveness through His teachings, life, and death on the cross.

I also got to thinking about how Satan can use these "reflexes" we have against us. When Christ died, He died for our sins so that we can come to Him, confess our sins and repent. Satan can use these "reflexes" that we have in our subconscious and conscious, and turn them away from God.

Our memory is a funny thing. The slightest sound, sight, taste, touch, or smell can trigger small memories of the past or huge, vivid memories. Every time I see a "Green Eggs and Ham" book, I am brought back to the time when I was 5 or 6 and every time I would go visit my grandaddy, I would ask him to read it to me. And when he finished it, he would read it to me again! He used fun voices that made that book come alive to me! There are also memories that can trigger times that I failed. I know I have failed at a lot of things in my life, yet through God's grace, I have learned from them and moved passed them. Satan, however, can use these triggers against us.

When we sin or fail we feel guilt. Guilt causes us to pray for forgiveness and repent. Sometimes though we have false guilt. This means that when we ask for forgiveness, we feel OK yet we still dwell on the sin or failure. This happens to me a lot to; I am very critical of myself. Satan can use these false guilts to make us dwell on these past events that have been separated as far as the east is from the west and we use up all our enegery. We have no more energy to focus on God.

Having God change these conditional reflexes to be reflections of Him makes my life worth living. I know I will sometimes have false guilt's caused by Satan, but I can still refuel and reenerginze myself in Christ.

1 comments:

sharonchristiansen said...

Wow, we must be on the same wavelenght here. =) You are such an honest writer with so much understanding about how God moves in your life! I'm looking forward to seeing you this Christmas too!

There was an error in this gadget

Total Pageviews

There was an error in this gadget

Followers